So, last weekend was the second time I had my booth out in the wild. Of course it couldn't go smoothly, so again I'm left with a weekend that has better prepared me for those times when things don't go quite as planned!
It started with forgetting the center post that I use to prop up the camera. This one had me floored, since if I don't have that post, I can't really prop the camera up. After a few moments of panic, and thinking some words that would make a pirate blush (with a few sneaking past my lips), I had the brilliant idea to go snag a wooden dowel from a hardware store. This turned out to be a great fix, and one that I know I can count on (at least as long as I've got a saw around as well!). That also left an indelible mark on my mental checklist to make sure that doesn't happen again. We'll see how much other clutter in my mind covers that mark right back up in the future.
The other "key" item I forgot was - of course - the keys to the locks on the doors of the booth. This meant I couldn't get the computer into the side of the booth where it is supposed to live, and I couldn't get into the booth in case anything else needed tended to. That was a relatively easy fix, though it left the booth looking less polished than I'd like. A couple screws backed out, and the back door was free to swing right open! I put the computer in through the back of the booth, and no one was the wiser (except the guys who peeked in through the unlocked door).
Other than those two big glitches, everything else went as well as I could expect. The photos were gorgeous, people had a blast, and the booth escaped (mostly) unharmed. What else I learned: lacquer the outside to protect from spills; remember to start the program from the touch screen to make sure the program displays correctly; and alcohol-infused adults will, eventually, take their toll on the booth!
I can't wait to get the booth out there a bit more!